Dear 2015 resolutions... (If 2015 were my new ex-boyfriend)





Happy 2015 World!




Dear 2015,

I don't know where to start with you.

I am tempted to make the same mistakes as I did in the past, get excited, and start writing down two pages long of resolutions that we both know won't do either of us any good.


Let' get real, please! I need us to get real!

We both know that we will go through the honeymoon phase where we get excited about losing those 20 pounds, getting a new haircut, making new friends, becoming a better person and bumping into the realest of them all. For those first few weeks, it will be all smiles and giggles and butterflies, then 

...

Then something will go wrong!

The beauty I once saw in you, the craftsman of perfection, the flawless connection, the fiery passion that made us dance on our toes to the beat of a tango will run away to the land of wake up sister. We will both sober up from this drunken impression of love and possibility. I will say to myself "I thought you were going to be the year for me, but, yet again, I got let down by your insecurities and indecision. I am so heartbroken. These changes could have lasted a lifetime!"

I will wish you all the best, give you a last kiss, and patiently wait for 2016 to come around and repeat... and repeat... and repeat...

Will it serve us any good? To waste so much time and energy, get fired up and then extinguish the flame?

I think not...

So, let's take it easy, you and I. Let's not put each other on a pedestal, have high expectations, push us to the limits, and demand so much in such little time. Let's take it day by day, small steps, little joys of life, a piece of chocolate here and there - everyone will be happy.

I see you!

I want us to work out!

We will make it work out!

Love,
The One Who Made It Happen

~

The truth is that New Year's Resolutions are, for lack of better words, excuses. Excuses for postponing your life. Excuses for continuing to procrastinate. Excuses for living in fear. Excuses for hiding from your potential.

I like thinking of this phenomenon which happens every January the same way I think about dating- you give it a go and pretend that you are somebody else, and try, try, try your hardest to mimic a person you so desire to become, yet are not. You get excited, then at the first glimpse of this is NOT how I've imagined it, you bail- drop your guns, sink the ship, bail!

Let me just say, pretty face, that if it was that important to you, you would have attacked it, killed it, nailed it the second you thought about it, and most likely, by now, that little check box in front of the scrambled writing on the GOALS LIST you have, would have been, you guessed, checked!

So, let's get real! I need us to get real!

Ain't no January 1, 2015 Resolutions gonna change you and your life... It's YOU! You, your mindset and the actions that you take on a daily basis, which over time will result in behavioral changes, permanent changes.

Here are a few Non-Resolutions that everyone thinks should be a breakthrough, but are really just part of a beautiful and normal life:


  1. The Weight-loss: What were you doing an entire year? You need a year to set a weightloss goals and then never get to it? That is the greatest excuse I have ever heard, and I have been hearing it in the past 7 years of being a fitness professional. Do yourself a favor and DO SOMETHING every day.. even if it is 15 minutes of jumping jacks. Oh, and, if you are not an athlete, or work in the fitness industry, try not to wish for a six pack as that takes a full time commitment and we both know that lifestyle is a take it or leave it kinda deal. 
  2. The ONE: Or the right person, your soul mate, husband, wife... whatever the title, you want to find them. Okay... Why is this a New Year's Resolution when you should be actively seeking that person on a daily basis? Whether it is via conversation starters or online dating, look for them! If it is that important to you, why do you have to wait an entire year to get pumped about love and relationships? Make it a point to speak to a NEW person every day, anywhere you are. 
  3. The Career: You need a raise, want a new position, crave a new boss, new colleagues, new coffee machine dispenser, and daydream about that time when the sheboss will come to your desk and say "Wow! I was impressed with that last presentation. Here is a bonus! Keep it up champ!". It that's the excitement you've been having in your career for the past years, and need a resolution... ? You either need to 1. Get out of there ASAP or 2. Work smarter and show your worth within the company. 
The point is... if it is important to you, make it happen sooner than January 1st of 2016. 

Take it day by day, do something that makes you feel good about yourself, you choices, your values, the people around you, the animals in Sahara, the polar bears, the coffee plantations in Ethiopia... the World! 

Hope this made you laugh, and in the same time realize how silly New Year's Resolutions are... you procrastinator, you! 

Now give me a kiss and get to work!

Mwah!

oxx,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First things first...